Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve has traditionally been spent with my dad's side of the family. 23 years ago, my Grandma and Grandpa Brewer moved from Riverdale to St. John. They were excited about oving into their new house as my Grandpa would soon be retiring. The new house had a great big yard where they planned to see their 7 gandchildren running around for years to come. As they setlled into their new home that fall, Grandpa declared that he would like to have a Christmas Eve party with the entire family. Unfortuately, Grandpa didn't make it to that party. He was killed in a traumatic accident while at work. The rest of our family did get together that Christmas Eve and has continued to do so every year. I can't speak for everyone, but for me, Christmas Eve is a good time to reflect on my Grandpa and the wonderful man that he was. Although I was only 5 years old when he left us, I have grown up learning about him, hearing stories about him and asking about him and thankfully I do have some very fond memories of spending time with my Grandpa. For the past 3 years, we have hosted Christmas Eve at our house. While it can be hard to get together a meal, etc. for 25+ people, I run around throughout the day and get things done for the party and as I run around doing these things, I think about my Grandpa and know that he will be with us that evening as he always is looking in on us. As I have gotten older, I have become more aware of the importance and significance of family in my life. I am so grateful for my family and for the times I get to spend with each and every family member.


Dad, Grandma and Diana, opening gifts...

Tony and Emily having a chat

Julie, Jeffrey (17 mos.) and Grandma.


Dad Smith, Shelley, Mom Smith, Dennis and Julie
(It has been a blessing to have my in-laws become a part of our annual family celebration as well)


Uncle Warren, Julie, Jeffrey, Grandma, Nathan, Dad, Diana, Dennis (Em's boyfriend), Emily, Angela - playing the ornament exchange /grab bag game
The party was great. This year we were lucky to have my Dad & Diana, Mark & Angela, Emily & Dennis, Lisa & Doug, Greg & Linda, Shelley, Nate, Tony, Ray, Mom & Dad Smith, Jim & Julie & Jeffrey, Linda & Warren, and Grandma over at our home. We love you guys!






No comments: