Friday, July 25, 2008

Small Town Sensation

"Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities
All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity" - John Cougar Mellencamp

Don't get me wrong - I love the excitement of going into the city, trying new restaurants, going to baseball games, musicals, concerts, museums and shopping. I even love going on vacations - exploring places I have never been before, snorkeling, galavanting around beaches, parasailing, and hiking. All around I feel I am a pretty adventurous person. If there is an adventure to be had and I can afford it, I'm game.

This morning though I succumbed to a small-town excitement. On Monday, our little town grocery store (Knuth's) closed up shop after 90 years. It was purchased by (Walt's) a larger chain grocery store. This morning was the grand opening at Walt's. Since I had to run to the post office early this morning anyway, I thought I would run into the "new" grocery store - take a look around and pick up some milk and contact solution.

The place was absolute madness. Do this many people usually shop at 8am on a Friday morning? I doubt it. Everyone in town was checking it out. There were a lot of great sales and in the excitement of it all, I decided to stock up. $140 later I am checking out at the register wondering what happened to me. As I loaded the 10 bags of groceries into the car I remember that I had just come in for milk and contact solution - realizing that I didn't buy either.

Living in a small town of 4,111 people surrounded by corn and soy beans for the past two years must be taking it's toll on me. A few years ago, I would never had experienced this much excitement over a new grocery store taking over an old one. I must be becoming a "small-town-girl." Is that a bad thing? I hope not - I kind of like it here....

No comments: