Friday, July 25, 2008

i-love my i-phone

"I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.
Oh-a oh
They took the credit for your second symphony.
Rewritten by machine and new technology,
and now I understand the problems you can see.
Oh-a oh
I met your children
Oh-a oh
What did you tell them?
Video killed the radio star" - The Buggles

For a while I have been thinking about getting a wireless card for my laptop computer so that I can access the Internet while on the road. Specifically, I wanted to be able to log in to my database for work, pull up contact information, and be able to respond to emails. In having my own business, I need to make sure that I stay in touch with people and be prompt in replying to requests, etc. With wireless cards running $55 per month though, I held back. I then considered getting a balckberry or something similar. This would allow me to check and reply to email but would not grant me access to my database. Then I heard about the new iphone. I went to the AT&T store to check it out and low and behold I was able to access my database from the iphone. With service at $35 per month, I was sold.

I ordered a 16GB white iphone last Friday. I was told it would take 10-21 days to come in. I was shocked when they called me on Tuesday to come and pick it up. It took only 2 business days to get the iphone! As I have started to use the iphone this week, I have been nothing less than amazed by all it can do. Besides the applications the iphone comes with, there are hundreds of others you can download - many of which are free!

I have been able to use my iphone this week to log into my database, check and reply to email, purchase and play itunes, browse the Internet, schedule appointments on the calendar, use the built in GPS with a built in map and directions to find my way to my new accountant's office, as a camera to take and store pictures, check activity in our stocks, check the weather forecast, log in to facebook, identify music being played through the "shazam" application, play games, text, and oh yeah - to make phone calls.

On average you might spend $200 on a nice phone, $300 on a nice GPS system, $200 on a decent digital camera, $100 on a wireless card, etc. I am very pleased with my purchase. I think it was well worth the money based on the things I have already been able to do with my iphone. And I know there are hundreds of other things I just need to learn to do that will make it that much better. The iphone is the next best thing to having a fully functional PC in front of you. There are even things the iphone can do that most PC's don't do. Just thinking about how much more awesome my iphone is than my old cell phone made me think of "video killed the radio star" - more like "apple iphone killed the motorola razor star." haha - I know I am a nerd.

If you have AT&T service and you are up for an upgrade, I would highly recommend getting an iphone. My husband is totally jealous. :)

1 comment:

Tony Real said...

I've loving this post, if only the fact that you brought up "Video Killed The Radio Star" and that you made sure to reference the Buggles version. :)

Oh, and I am totally jealous you've got an iphone, if it only wasn't only on AT&T....