Wednesday, March 25, 2009

If I knew you were coming I would've baked a cake

I talk a lot about how much I enjoy baking, but the truth is that I don't get to do it often enough. While in college I took a cake baking/decorating class at Michael's craft store. The class was taught by Wilton professionals. I used to make cakes for every occassion as I had all of the special pans, tools, icing tools, etc. It has been a couple of years since I made a cake like that. My brother-in-law turned 34 and my sister-in-law turned 28 in Mid-March so I decided to make some cakes. I wish I had more time to decorate them all fancy like I use to, but it was a busy day with vet appointments and running other errands. Although they were not as fancy as I had hoped, they were tasty! Here's a few pictures:

The plan: I made a two tiered marble cake stuffed with bananas and covered in chocolate frosting. I also made a two tiered chocolate cake stuffed with raspberries and covered with vanilla frosting. Mmmmm. Here are the layers cooling before stuffing and frosting them.
Marble cake stuffed with bananas

Iced with chocolate frosting! (and sprinkles - you can't forget the sprinkles!!!)

My favorite - chocolate cake stuffed with fresh raspberries and seedless raspberry jam!

And since I had some raspberries leftover I used them around the edges as well.

No comments: