Monday, March 05, 2007

Digital Camera Question

I have been looking at new digital cameras for a while. The one I have is about 4 years old now. It is a Kodak 3.1 megapixel camera. It is OK for the most part, but I am not happy with the quality of close up photos or zommed photos. I am looking for something a little more precise and sharp and something at either 7 or 8 megapixels. I also want it to be small enouch to carry around in my purse all the time, and easy to use in terms of transferring the pictures to my laptop.
I have become increasingly confused about this situation though. When I first started looking at cameras I was at the Best Buy in Bourbonnais. A very helpful salesperson talked to me about this. I was looking at Kodak because that was what I was use to, but he suggested a Sony. He told me that Sony is the leader in digital cameras and that I couldn't go wrong with it. I took some pictures and I was impressed with the camera. So, I started looking more into Sony products.
Last week I went to an invitation only event at the Best Buy in Orland. There were a ton of salespeople at the event to help. I was looking at a Sony 8.0 megapixel camera then. I had every intention of buying it, but the salesperson talked me out of it. He was very helpful - took a new camera out of the box, let me use it, etc. But then he told me that it was the last camera he would choose to buy. He told me that Sony made horrible cameras and that I should consider a Cannon.
I looked at the Cannon but I honestly didn't seem as impressed with it's zoom capabilities or the sharpness of the picture. It cost about the same as the Sony so I don't know what angle the salesperson was going with. He mentioned that Cannon would be coming out with their newest camera at the end of March and I should consider waiting. I appreciated the advice, but it has now left me totaly confused.
I do want a new digital camera, and definitely before I start traveling in May. If anyone out there has any suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I have a cannon that is a few years old now. We are probably going to upgrade in the next year, for the same reasons you mentioned. When we do upgrade I would definitely go with a cannon again. All I know is you have to look at the optical zoom capacity not just the mega pixel if you are looking to get clear images when you zoom in or are close up.

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about our digital camera except it is a Sony and it is 7.2 megapixels. We have had pretty good luck with it.

Tony Real said...

Canon is THE leader in digital cameras period. There are more people walking around with Canon digital cameras than any other brand. I've owned one Kodak 1MP, and then a 3.2MP Canon, and now I have a 7.2MP Canon. I wouldn't trade it for anything except a Canon Digital SLR. Kodak is actually pretty close to the bottom in terms of quality. Sony, IMHO is pretty decent, but I hate Sony on principal because they require you use their proprietary memory sticks that only work with Sony devices. Because of their lack of using industry standards, I don't own anything that is a sony at this point.

I would be really surprised if you were unhappy with nearly any Canon digital camera, as long as buy something current. I have a Powershot A620, which isn't the most current model anymore (its about a 1.5 years old) but the A630 is a 8.0MP that is current. I'm amazing the kind of pictures I can take with this thing.