Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Photography

I have always loved photography. Perhaps this interest in photography started out in my 3-year old pre-school Christmas play. I was assigned the part of one of Santa's helpers and I stated in my cute high-pitched little girl voice: "I'm Santa's helper and I make cameras!" I believe that was my only line in the Christmas play, but hey I was 3! I gave it my all and announced it loudly!

Growing up I had a variety of cameras. One of the cooler cameras I had was probably around 2nd grade when I got a polaroid camera for Chirstmas. I thought it was SO cool how you could take a pictures and get it right then and there! I'd save up money to buy extra film since those poloroid photos were expensive compared to regular 35mm film.

When I went to Australia in 8th grade my parents bought me a REALLY nice 35mm camera. I took at least 15 rolls of film while there. I have some great pictures from that trip. Unfortunately, that camera ended up getting stolen while I was in high school.

I had one of those novelty cameras in high school that was like a polaroid, only it produced miniature pictures in the form of stickers. And of course I have used my fair share of disposable cameras for both regular and underwater photography.

While in college I dated a guy who was into digital photography and that's when I started getting interest in that area. My first digital camera was a Kodak point and shoot digital camera. I think it was 1.8 megapixels and very easy to use.

Wanting to upgrade, I purchased a Cannon AS630 point and shoot digital camera about 2 years ago, fully expecting it to last me for a long time. I found the Cannon to be much more superior than the Kodak, still there are things I want to do, that I just can't do with this camera. It takes good enough pictures for printing, framing and journaling. However, there are times I get frustrated with it and wish I had something with a better quality.

I have been doing a lot of research on SLR cameras lately and after talking with a few friends who are into this and really understand it, I believe I am going to make the leap and purchase a Digital SLR camera. I realize that this will be a commitment because while you can use it as a point and shoot camera, you would be wasting it by just keeping it on "Auto" and shooting pictures. There are so many more features that come with an SLR camera. I really want to learn how to do everything I can with it. I know that with the purchase of an SLR camera, comes the commitment of learning about lenses and filters and all sorts of other things. I know I can't just toss this camera in my purse and run out the door. I will need to carry around a camera bag, extra batteries and plenty of memory! I am really excited about it though.

I have some friends who have the Cannon Digital Rebel XS and XSi. I LOVE the pictures that they have taken. Cannon now has a Digital Rebel T1i that I am interested in. In addition to the features of the XS ans XSi, the T1i also has video capabilities. I plan to hang on to my little point and shoot for more casual occassions when I need to toss a camera in my purse and run. However, I am planning to take full advantage of learning how to use the SLR camera.

I signed up for my first photography class last night. The first class is just a one day class. If that goes well, the school offers 7 week courses for about $500 a course. There are 3 courses there I would possibly be interested in taking. This means traveling downtown once a week for classes and it's probably not something I will do until after the baby is here. With the first class being on Halloween, a 7 week course after that would put me right up to my due date and I don't think that would work out too well.

My friend Tony recommended a helpful book as well to get me going before the class and to supplement what I will learn in the first class. Hopefully I will be able to spend some time experimenting with the camera throughout the holidays so I will have plenty of questions to ask when I sign up for my first 7-week course next year.

Lately everything has been all about work and all about getting ready for the baby. So, I am excited to jump into something just for me. It's been a while since I have had a serious hobby that has held my interest. I am really excited to get going! I hope to make a final decision on which SLR to purchase this week.

No comments: