Monday, March 24, 2008

My New Computer

For quite some time I have been looking around and asking for advice on purchasing anew desktop computer. When I quit my job and started my own business I stopped using my former employer's computer and sent it back to them. At that point I was left with just my laptop. I have a CompaqPresario laptop with an AMD Processor and an 80 GB hard drive. I have had it for about 3-4 years now and I really like it. I have actually never had a problem with it. However I have something like 12,000 pictures and 1,000 songs stored on it and memory is getting low. Plus with starting my own business I wanted to store my data on a desktop rather than a laptop. As the Compaq slowed down significantly, I stepped up my search for a desktop computer. This weekend I bought one and I am REALLY happy with it.

With a trip to Tiger Direct in Orland, I got a Lenovo computer with an Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor that has 2GM DDR2 RAM and a 320 GB SATAII Hard Drive. The Operating System is Vista, which I was skeptical about at first, but as I have used it over the weekend I have come to actually like it. I have run into a few small bugs here and there, but nothing that I wasn't able to easily fix myself within 5 minutes. Most of which included upgrading the verions of Adobe, etc. that I was using. Overall, I think that Vista is user friendly and I have not had any problems in transferring data from my old XP machine to the new Vista one. In addition to the awesome amount of memory and storage space on the new Lenovo, it also just looks awesome. The graphics are phenominal as compared to my old machine and there are other little features like a DVD recorder drive, etc.

I went with a 22 inch Acer monitor. My husband has a 20 inch Acer monitor that he loves. As I looked around the store, I also fell in love with it. (Mine's bigger than his - I think he is jealous). The monitor comes with the ability to use it with HD cables as well.

Overall I was VERY happy with everything. The computer came in at about $450 (with a $50 mail in rebate) and the monitor was $200. I did splurge for Microsfot Office 2007 (for an additional $130) because I use MS Office on a daily basis and wasn't too interested in the free virtual office options. Call me old school - but I like to have my own software. For $650 I got what I think is an awesome computer and monitor for a ridiculously better price than what I saw at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, even WalMart. Thank you Tiger Direct!

No comments: