Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Help Bands Of America Music For All Program

Spending 4 years at Marian Catholic High School, I had the opportunity to be a part of many different Bands of America functions - whether it was a competition, master class, or other event, I came away with a positive experience and having learned both musical and life lessons. Throughout my high school years, I was very active as a musician. I started by playing the clarinet. I spent 3 years of marching band playing the tenor saxophone and 1 year as a drum major. Our insightful band director, Mr. Bimm, pushed me towards playing the bassoon during my freshman year. After many lessons and several hours of practicing, I enjoyed playing bassoon in the Symphonic band for the next 3 years. (I have to say that I wasn't crazy about the bassoon at first, but I am so glad that Mr. Bimm encouraged me to play it, because it became one of the most rewarding and enjoyable things I have done in my life.)

I took part in the Bands of American Summer Symposium program, playing my bassoon. I was part of the BOA National Concert Band Festival, and who can forget the BOA Marching Band Regional Contests throughout the Midwest or the big National contest in Indy. Being in band taught me the value of hard work, dedication and discipline. It taught me that if you work hard enough, you will achieve your goals. It taught me the importance of being both a good leader and a good follower and most importantly to be a part of a team. I am a better person for having been in band. The contests, master classes, and events held by BOA gave me something to strive for. I cannot sum up in a small paragraph how instrumental (pardon the pun) being a part of the music program has been in my life. Besides learning important life lessons, gaining incredible musical abilities, and benefiting from the expertise of a great leader like Mr. Bimm, I made close friendships with some really wonderful people. Although it has been 10-13 years since most of us graduated from high school, we still talk and see each other on a very regular basis. We all know that we will always be there for each other when the chips are down or when it's time to celebrate.

I am posting this blog entry today as I received an email this afternoon saying that Bands of America is in a severe financial crisis. A combination of different factors, not the least of which is the current national financial trouble, has put BOA in a “do or die” situation. Basically, they have until the end of February to raise $250,000 or they face closing their doors. They have developed a plan to enlist the aid of “BOA alumni”- those students (more than a million) who have experienced (and benefited from) BOA. I am enclosing a link to the BOA campaign site in the GREAT HOPE THAT YOU WILL VISIT IT, READ ABOUT THE SPECIFICS AND CONSIDER MAKING A DONATION.
http://www.bands.org/alumni/index.html

I do believe in paying it forward and I can say with much certainty that I would not be who I am today if it were not for Bands of America or the band program. Although I have not been in band for the past 10 years, I have applied the many lessons I learned as a musician to my life. I am now a successful business owner with a confident and entrepreneurial spirit. I have decided to make a donation to help this program stay alive. I know that many many many other children / teens / adolescents / adults can continue to benefit from the Bands of America program in the ways that I did. I would like to see other people have the same opportunities that I did. Please consider making a donation.

Thanks,
Julie Brewer - Smith

Below is a note regarding the program.

Through the support of committed parents, enthusiastic educators, tireless volunteers and a forward thinking Board of Directors, Music for All has evolved into a national leader in music education, performance and advocacy.

Over thirty years ago an organization called Marching Bands of America (MBA) was established to unify the marching band activity. In 1984, that same organization became a not-for-profit called Bands of America (BOA) and expanded its reach to musicians in all instrumental genres. For the next twenty-two years BOA provided educational and performance opportunities to more than 1.25 million student musicians. In 2006, BOA merged with the Music for All Foundation to become Music for All (MFA) and expanded its mission to include not only education and performance but research and advocacy as well. Today, the organization serves hundreds of thousands of students and educators through its programming and influence on public policies to support music education in public schools.

Like our name suggests, Music for All is for the artist, educator and fan. We are an organization that promotes creativity and expression through music, bringing joy to the artist and listener alike. As a donor, you perpetuate our ability to provide positively life changing experiences through music. On behalf of the Music for All students, educators and fans, may your holiday season be filled with health, happiness and music.

Fondly,

L. Scott McCormick
President and CEO

P.S. Tell your friends about BOA's Alumni Campaign! Visit
http://www.bands.org/alumni/ for more details.

No comments: