Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I love my doggies!

Well in the past week, I have spent over $500 at the vet. Can you believe that? I myself went to the dr. a while ago, and I got the bill yesterday - it was $6. Since when did animal doctors pass up the human doctors in billing?

We do have 3 dogs, so that can be part of the problem. They basically all just had an annual checkup, but there were a few issues. The vet was worried BamBam could have PUPD or Kushing's disease, but after some tests they ruled that out. Rusty has high blood sugar and is now on a special diet that you can only buy at the vet. The good news is that he doesn't have a thyroid problem. We need to get his blood sugar down ASAP so with the special diet we are now taking more daily walks. And Belfry who is older than the other 2 combined, is healthy as a horse (as healthy as horses can be, I guess) except for an ear infection which we had to get some medicine for.

I've considered getting the "animal insurance" believe it or not, but with premiums of $40 a month per dog, that is more than we pay for our own insurance. It's hard to say if it's worth $120/month or $1,440.00 per year. I guess you never know when a huge bill might show up for some special treatment. But I guess that is how all insurance works. Or maybe I could just pick my favorite and get insurance on him and not the others? But that would make me feel a bit quilty. In 6 more months we go back for annual vaccinations - I can hardly wait. Maybe I should start saving up now.

1 comment:

Jen said...

pick your favorite, hehehe.